04 July 2012
diy: patriotic clutch
happy fourth of july, everyone!
i bought this clutch (also discussed here) from a thrift store in san diego, and i was sure that i wanted to do something with it when i had more time. so, while we waited to move into our house (here in okinawa), i decided it was time for my clutch to have a face lift in honor of 4th of july!
1. my supplies: blue tape, red and white fabric paint, brushes, and navy blue clutch. there are paints specifically for leather/pleather, but michaels didn't have them so i took a risk with fabric paint and it worked out well!
2. i wanted to create stripes so i decided to use "natural stripes" already in the middle of the clutch. i used blue tape to separate the stripes. (pardon the newspaper working area. it doesn't look "pretty", but it was the best thing i could find as a work area.)
3. i painted the middle stripe red. i did 2 layers, waiting 20 minutes before applying the second layer.
4. i decided to let the paint dry overnight since i did the project while my daughter slept. at least 4 hours is all it needed.
5. i separated the next segment of stripes with blue tape, making sure that i covered the area that i already painted very well.
6. i painted the designated area with white paint. i did 3 layers to cover up the blue and waited about 10-20 minutes before each layer.
7. voila! my very own patriotic clutch in red, white and blue! i couldn't be happier with how it turned out and the colors were just right! next is the fun part of wearing it with an outfit! stay tuned... what do you think?
enjoy your fourth and be safe! xoxo